Tuesday 13 April 2010

Osmosis of colour

People often comment on my use of colours and ask me how I decide upon them. I have been thinking about this and I've realised it is by 'osmosis of colour'. I don't actually make any decisions and I don't have a plan, they just sort of seep into my mind.
For example in this picture SIESTA, which is a drawing of a spanish villa we stayed in, I wanted to use my wire pattern to create the feeling of mediterranean light in the heat of early afternoon. So I sort of went there in my body - how it felt to have a siesta in this villa and the colours of the light just came to me.
© nicky linzey 2010

6 comments:

Caroline said...

Hi Nicky! Back in blogland again now that I have my laptop on wireless! Thanks for your visits! I just love this illustration of yours - I can really feel the med here. You are so clever with these patterns - I love the plant shadows, the colours - well everything really - it pulses with the heat of Spain!

Ms Leaney said...

Yes, I love this also! Beautiful work.

Have a lovely day

Shirley said...

Nicky - this is sensational...love the palette and the description of your process..it's truly wonderful! I like that you "feel" the work and then colors come through as you create it...that's awesome. Always wonderful to visit and learn of your process and it's neat to see your sweet Jack Russell...love him! I'm sure you enjoyed Frasier, right? We love that show...
have a great rest of the week and thanks for your comment at the blog - it was an awesome thing for Sarah to ask me to be in her feature so much thanks for visiting her blog!

justdoodleit said...

Lovely... diffusion of color is what takes place in nature...when it passes through the 'pores of our senses' into the 'membrane of our mind' it indeed becomes Osmosis! Nice evocative image and phrase :)

get zapped said...

Fantastic! I really get a sense of color, light, reflection and joy. This is a cool piece. I love paying you a visit :)

Bella Sinclair said...

Wow. I mean, WOW! What an incredible layering of images and colors and shapes. Talk about feeling it in your bones, this lets me FEEL the Mediterranean, experience it without actually seeing a literal depiction of the villa. I love it!